Here are 10 great ways to bust the boredom and help your dog live a more fulfilled life!
10 Tips for Preventing Dog Boredom:
1. Stimulate your dog’s senses by allowing him to experience different environments each day. Taking your dog around the neighborhood can help mix up his everyday routine.
2. If your dog is home alone for long hours, consider hiring a dog walker or (if appropriate) taking your dog to a reputable doggie daycare facility. Leaving your dog in the yard all day is just as bad as leaving him in your home.
3. If your dog loves the car, take her for a ride. This is a great way to give a fearful or reactive dog mental stimulation outside the home.
4. Play games with your dog. Hide-and-seek, fetch, Frisbee, and tug-of-war are all great games.
5. Find a dog sport that you and your dog can enjoy together. Sports challenge your dog mentally and physically and can help fearful dogs gain confidence. There are sports that satisfy every type of dog, from agility to dock diving.
6. Minimize destruction by managing your dog’s environment, and provide him with a safe area when unsupervised.
7. If your dog likes to be touched, give him a massage. This is a great way to relax your dog.
8. Learn about your dog’s breed or mix of breeds and find activities that suit his abilities. Border collies enjoy herding, Bloodhounds love to track, and greyhounds are great at lure coursing. Find what suits you and your dog.
9. Organize a regular dog walking group or set up canine playdates. Keep your dog social and active by giving him plenty of interaction with others.
10. Daycare. See if this is the right choice for your dog and register your dog for a day of safe, enrichment-focused play!